Segmentation is a key requirement for many B2B and wholesale businesses, but the variety of options for segmentation can sometimes seem overwhelming. In this post we talk about some of the ways you can leverage Customer Groups on Zoey to provide a unique journey for your customers, offering a customized approach that makes the shopping experience more enjoyable.
Pricing by Customer Group Options
One of the more obvious ways that a merchant can segment customers is offering different pricing to different customer groups. A customer can log in, see their specific pricing, and place orders based on the pricing arrangement they have in place. However, pricing can get much more complex than just having a different baseline price. Here’s examples of other ways you can differentiate pricing
- Tier Pricing by Customer Group: You can set different tier levels for each of your customer groups to encourage volume sales. For example, if retail customers get a discount by the case, and wholesale customers buying by the case get a discount for buying a whole pallet, you can have different rules for each.
Show pricing that differs by Customer Group, with different tier pricing breaks for each.
- Promotions and Discounts: Set up different rules for each of your customer segments, or limit coupons to certain customer types. So if retail customers get a discount based on certain order levels, but wholesale does not, you can configure your promotions to target an individual group.
- Pricing Per Customer: You can even set up a group for each individual customer, for the absolute in customization - unique pricing for each of your customers.
Similar to pricing, you may want to present your catalog differently depending on the group. Perhaps some wholesale products aren’t available for retail. In other cases, you may only allow certain customers to have access to certain products. Or you may sell in different industries where each customer only is engaged around a specific segment of your catalog. Customer Groups can be paired with our Access Restrictions feature to completely customize the catalog for each group, including product and category visibility.
Content by Customer Group
Our CMS capabilities allow for content pages (Return Policies are a great example of something that may differ by customer type) to be segmented, including which ones are shown in the navigation menu for each customer type. You can also redirect each group to a different landing page upon login, effectively allowing for a different homepage for each group.
In certain cases, like our newly launched Advanced Quick Order Forms, you also have the ability to segment a block’s visibility by group, even if the rest of the page is open to everyone.
Shipping and Payments Options
For both our shipping and payments aspect of checkout, you have the ability to define which options are available for each group. In certain cases you have the ability to set more granular controls for shipping types:
- Free Shipping: Define what amount needs to be spent by each group to achieve Free Shipping.
- Flat Rate Shipping: Set different levels for each customer group type
Given different customer types may also have different needs, aligning your shipping and payment options to cover those customers will lead to more productive sales results within your customer base.
While the above options are straightforward implementations of our Customer Groups features, some of our customers have taken the idea and spun them in more unique directions. Here’s some examples of ways Customer Groups can be leveraged to drive sales:
- Segment Customers by Frequency of Order: Marketing teams can leverage customers grouped this way to target more generous promotions where it’s needed the most. Are you trying to get your irregular customers to buy more? Maybe you want to lavish your best customers with better deals! You can leverage groups to organize your customers, and then use your Email Service Provider to send out targeted emails.
- Group Customers Geographically: Geographic grouping can help you better target customers in different areas with messaging that may better resonate, especially when grouped with our content Access Restrictions and Customer Groups features, as well as Zoey’s built-in internationalization capabilities.
- Retail vs. Wholesale: Many Zoey customers have public pricing that is their retail price, while wholesalers can register and login to see their wholesale pricing. Effectively, merchants can run both their B2C and B2B arms off of one website. This is a huge efficiency opportunity for merchants maintaining two stores, one for each side of the business.
We’re Constantly Adding
Zoey’s Customer Groups capabilities continue to be integrated to new features as we roll them out, as well as are linked in to other existing Zoey features for increasingly nuanced control of your B2B or wholesale eCommerce store.
For a deeper dive into our Customer Groups capabilities, contact us to request a one-on-one review of Zoey’s features: